O-Day (CD 11) – March 2016


This is it. It’s finally here. I can’t believe that it’s finally going to happen. I’ve waited what feels like an eternity for this opportunity, and it’s finally here!

Today, I had my very first IUI!!!

Big smile emoticon

Now anyone who’s been following my blog up to this point knows that I am not a morning person. With the exception of rare occasion where there’s a reason I need to be up and at ’em really early,  I have to be up and conscious for at least two hours before I can even function!

And of course, today was indeed just such an occasion.

Because even though today was a very important and “out-of-the-ordinary” kind of day for ME, the very ordinary daily tasks still needed to be accomplished. Considering that today was Friday, our two year old autistic son John still needed to be at “school” by 10:00 for his Social Day.

*Side Note: I am very blessed (especially for an Army Wife) to live within 15 miles of my Mother. I don’t know where I’d be without her help! She not only helps me with Bubby in instances like this one where I need help getting him to school on time, but she keeps him for me quite often; it allows me the opportunity to do life’s mundane tasks (like grocery shopping) without having to lug my 36 pound toddler with me. She’s so much more to me than just my Mom. She’s my most trusted confidant, my greatest adviser, and my truest friend. Love you, Mumsy!*

But I Digress

I was very afraid of oversleeping this morning and being late for my appointment, but I shouldn’t have been – I woke up bright-eyed and busy-tailed this morning at 4:30 am. I got up, peed, and tried desperately to go back to sleep; my alarm wasn’t set to go off for another two hours!



So I got up. Matt had already left for work by that point; he had to go in to get a few things done at 5:30. That way, even though he had to come back home to “do the damn thang” into the sterile little cup the lab gave us, he wouldn’t start out the day behind. And considering that after close of business today we would be on “Leave” (vacation) from the Army for a little while, I sure as hell didn’t want to keep him there any longer than he had to be just because my appointment ran him behind, ya know?

Since falling back to sleep was evidently not in the cards for me this morning, I decided to use my time wisely. I got my clothes chosen for the day, and trudged into the shower to get all “trimmed” and cleaned up for my appointment. (I just can’t bring myself to go to an OB/GYN appointment without freshening up a bit beforehand.) I got myself all tidied up, hair brushed, and makeup done, all before I ever heard the Tiny Tyrant begin to chirp over the monitor. I felt very ahead of the power curve for the first time in forever!

Matt came home and while our son was happily watching The Little Engine That Could on TV, we snuck off for a good ol’ fashioned Handy Jay in the bedroom – I know, I know – we’re terrible parents. Once all was done and tucked away neatly in my bra (ya gotta keep that stuff at body temperature, ya know), we loaded Bubby up in the car and went to drop him off with my Mother. After kissing him goodbye, we rushed to the hospital to drop off Matt’s “baby gravy” so that it could be washed and processed. I was surprised to know that Matt had been able to get the entire morning off from work and was able to come with me.

We stopped by the little café in the hospital lobby and picked us up a few snacks to take with us up to the OB/GYN waiting room until they called us back. We satisfied our hunger and made idle chit-chat while we waited. The hubster had brought his laptop with him to work on some paperwork while he was away from work, so that he wouldn’t be as far behind when he returned. The nurse came to the lobby and called my name.

this is it
This is what we’ve been waiting for.

We followed the nurse back to the little cubicle where they take my vitals, and as usual, everything was perfectly normal. She then led us back to the very last door at the end of the hallway, which was one of the only rooms I actually hadn’t been to yet. (I had to make a pit stop by the bathroom so that I could relieve my nervous bladder before insemination, since I would be lying on my back for a while afterwards.) We waited about 15 minutes, and a knock on the door preceded my REs presence. He came in and while he gloved up, he told us that, while there wasn’t a whole lot of the hubby’s semen sample, his sperm count was through the roof, and that we were about to transfer 92 MILLION spermies into the top of my uterus next to the opening of my fallopian tubes!!

That’s freakin’ AMAZING!!

After glancing at Matthew who was smugly grinning from ear to ear at this news (evidently, having a good sperm count is a sign of “real” manhood – I think that’s dumb, but whatever), I was asked to lie back and put my legs in the stirrups. The RE inserted the platypus bill and opened it a bit to allow for a better view of my cervix (it’s actually called a speculum, but I’ve always thought it looked like the bill of a platypus) and attempted to insert the catheter through the cervical opening. It took a second attempt with a different catheter, since my cervix was “not playing nice”, but the RE was able to get it through the opening and up to the top of my uterus. It was a relatively painless process; the argument with my cervix was the most painful part of the whole procedure. Once he was finished, my RE instructed me to stay lying down for 20 minutes, and then a nurse would come in and let us know when it was safe for me to redress and leave. He also warned me that there would almost definitely be some light bleeding after the procedure, especially after he had to fight with my cervix.

After watching my husband work on his laptop while I fiddled around on Facebook for what seemed like an hour, the nurse came in and kindly told me that I could get dressed. She informed me that they would need a progesterone blood test in 7 days; I told her that they would have to fax the order for the blood work to the local hospital in Illinois where I would be vacationing for the next 10 or so days, and she said that wouldn’t be a problem.

I got dressed and we left the hospital. I had another appointment immediately afterwards, so we headed over to the clinic. An hour later we were heading back home so that I could pick up Bubby from Granny’s house and the hubs could head back to work. Once I got home, I would have to begin the daunting task of getting the house cleaned, our clothes washed, folded, and packed, as well as everything else that goes along with making a cross-country trip with a toddler.

I did indeed have some light bleeding throughout the day. I wore a pad simply to allow me to judge a little better just how much bleeding I was having. Since I was still having some spotting that night, we chose to opt out of sex for the evening. We figured that since we’d dumped 92 million little swimmers at exactly the right spot, we’d be covered for the day. After all, tomorrow morning before the trip will still be within the timeframe to make it count!

Here’s to hoping …





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s